Key information such as deadlines, student evaluations of teaching effectiveness, department evaluation of lecturers, and university temporary faculty evaluation forms.
- New and renewing 3 year contracts: WPAFs due October 6, 2017
- All other Lecturers: WPAFS due February 23, 2018
Student Evaluations of Teaching Effectiveness (SETE):
All courses in our department are subject to student evaluations each semester. These evaluations will be conducted online at the end of the semester. Please visit Academic Senate Website for more information about the administration of the survey, including the list of the six University-wide questions. Please refer to the email you received at the start of the academic year, or the binders housed in the Writing Program Office or with Kitty Quinn-Friel, for lists of additional programmatic questions.
It is our departmental practice that the director of composition and/or the department chair review all SETE results, both quantitative and qualitative comments, for all lecturers at the end of each semester.
View additional information about how to access your SETE scores.
Departmental Evaluation of Lecturers – Process and Criteria:
The following documents outline how and when lecturers must complete and submit a brief WPAF (Working Personnel Action File), as well as the criteria by which those WPAFs will be evaluated by our departmental committee charged with this process: the Lecturer Hiring, Appointment, and Evaluation Committee (LHAEC).
- Lecturer Evaluation Checklist & Timeline (PDF) provides an overview of our departmental procedures for evaluation
- Lecturer Teaching Effectiveness Guidelines (PDF) details our departmental criteria for evaluation
- Relevant Departmental Committees (PDF) describes the LHAEC, as well as the Faculty Support and Mentoring Committee, charged with supporting lecturers in this process and other elements of their professional life
- Classroom Observation Form Option A (PDF) | Classroom Observation Form Option B (PDF) Lecturers may choose one of the two attached classroom observation forms to be used for their evaluation in consultation with their Observer.
University Temporary Faculty Evaluation Form (TFEF)
The LHAEC and/or appropriate administrator uses the Temporary Faculty Evaluation (PDF) form to summarize their evaluation: the TFEF is then forwarded to the department chair and the college dean. After each level of review the faculty member will receive the form with the reviewer’s comments. Upon completion of the process, a copy of the Temporary Faculty Evaluation Form and the summary of the SETEs will be entered into the Personnel Action File in Human Resources.
Once again, this process is meant to encourage a holistic assessment of teaching effectiveness (particularly in the periodic review) and an opportunity for Lecturers to further their growth as effective teachers. Lecturers can learn more about the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) (PDF) – particularly the relevant articles 15.15-15.29.
To learn more about Senate Policy on Lecturer Evaluation, please see Academic Senate.