- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Admissions & Prospective Students
M.A. TESOL - What is it?
Spring 2020 Admissions Open- Deadline Dec. 1
The U.S. State Department has recognized the MA TESOL Program with an English Language Fellow Top Producing Institution Award, an award presented to five institutions that have prepared the largest number of TESOL professionals to become English Language Fellows - highly qualified and experienced U. S. educators in the field of teaching English to speakers of other languages (TESOL).
Fellows are cultural ambassadors who promote English language learning and mutual understanding through cultural exchange on 10-month fellowships around the world.
This year marks the English Language Fellow program's 50th anniversary and at the Anniversary Celebration on Tuesday, November 5, 2019, in Washington, D.C. Dr. Maricel Santos representing SF State’s MA TESOL Program received the award.
English 895 Conference - Fall 2019
Friday, Dec 6th
More information coming soon!
Learn more - Open Houses - please Register here.
Next Date: TBA
The program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, founded in 1964, is one of the longest running of its kind. This award winning program has a double emphasis:
- Theoretical foundations and contemporary research in linguistics, sociolinguistics, second-language acquisition and related fields.
- Classroom teaching methodology suitable for adult second-language learners.
Because our alumni go into so many teaching situations, the M.A. TESOL program does not attempt to train for one specific type of locale; instead, we provide general preparation for the teaching of adult learners in a variety of pedagogical settings.
Degree Requirements (30 units)
Core Curriculum (15 units)
- ENG 702: Introduction to Graduate Study of Composition, Linguistics, and TESOL
- ENG 707: Topics in Language Analysis (Variable Topics)
- ENG 728: Topics in Sociolinguistics (Variable Topics)
- ENG 733: Student Teaching Seminar
- ENG 731: Seminar: TESOL Listening and Speaking Skills
- ENG 732 Seminar: TESOL Reading and Writing Skills
- ENG 734 TESOL Curriculum and Assessment
- ENG 826 Second Language Acquisition
Electives (ONE minimum)
- ENG 724: Special Topics in TESOL (e.g. Tech, Teach Abroad, Research)
- ENG 726: Practicum (if less than 2 yrs teaching experience)
- ENG 736: Seminar: Teaching ESL in the Community
- ENG 738: Pragmatics and Oral Skills
- ENG 832: Seminar in Immigrant Literacies and Community-Based Projects
- ENG 895 Field Study or Applied Research Project
- ENG 898 Master's Thesis (with consent of advisor)