- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Admissions & Prospective Students
M.A. TESOL - What is it?
Spring 2020 Admissions Opening Soon
English 895 Conference - Fall 2019
Friday, Dec 6th
More information coming soon!
TESOL Talk - Guest Lecture Series
Tuesday Sept 24, 2019 Humanities 485 1:00-2:00pm
Promoting Fluency in all Skills: Maximizing implicit Learning Opportunities
Doreen Ewert, Professor in the Department of Rhetoric and Language; Director of the Academic English for Multilingual Students Program, University of San Francisco.
Learn more - Open Houses - please Register here.
In person: Wed Sept 24, 12:30-4:00
Explore the possibilities! Join students, faculty, and staff to learn about the MA TESOL Program at San Francisco State University.
Virtual: Oct 16th 8:00pm (PST)
Meet faculty and staff to learn about the MA TESOL Program at San Francisco State University.
For this virtual open house, we will be using web conferencing software called Zoom. You’ll receive login information after you register.
The program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, founded in 1964, is one of the longest running of its kind. This award winning program has a double emphasis:
- Theoretical foundations and contemporary research in linguistics, sociolinguistics, second-language acquisition and related fields.
- Classroom teaching methodology suitable for adult second-language learners.
Because our alumni go into so many teaching situations, the M.A. TESOL program does not attempt to train for one specific type of locale; instead, we provide general preparation for the teaching of adult learners in a variety of pedagogical settings.
Degree Requirements (30 units)
Core Curriculum (15 units)
- ENG 702: Introduction to Graduate Study of Composition, Linguistics, and TESOL
- ENG 707: Topics in Language Analysis (Variable Topics)
- ENG 728: Topics in Sociolinguistics (Variable Topics)
- ENG 733: Student Teaching Seminar
- ENG 731: Seminar: TESOL Listening and Speaking Skills
- ENG 732 Seminar: TESOL Reading and Writing Skills
- ENG 734 TESOL Curriculum and Assessment
- ENG 826 Second Language Acquisition
Electives (ONE minimum)
- ENG 724: Special Topics in TESOL (e.g. Tech, Teach Abroad, Research)
- ENG 726: Practicum (if less than 2 yrs teaching experience)
- ENG 736: Seminar: Teaching ESL in the Community
- ENG 738: Pragmatics and Oral Skills
- ENG 832: Seminar in Immigrant Literacies and Community-Based Projects
- ENG 895 Field Study or Applied Research Project
- ENG 898 Master's Thesis (with consent of advisor)
- Information coming soon