Part I: Application to Graduate Studies:
- Complete an online application with Graduate Studies through Cal State Apply. NOTE: Do not submit your Statement of Purpose to Graduate Studies, as it will be included with the materials you send to the department. On page 9 of the Graduate Studies Application, simply state that your personal statement has been sent directly to the English Department.
- Send one set of transcripts from all colleges attended to Graduate Studies.
The phone number for Graduate Studies is (415) 338-2234.
Part II: Application to the English Department:
Send the following materials together in one package directly to the English Department, M.A. Composition:
A 1-2 page typed statement of purpose.
Please write a statement of purpose in which you do the following:
• Explain your interest in pursuing the degree.
• Describe any previous experience that may contribute to your success in the program.
• Establish your readiness to do graduate-level coursework.
• Explain what you plan to do with the degree/certificate upon completion.
In addition, be sure that your statement of purpose demonstrates your ability to produce clear, cogent, and polished prose.
- A recent writing sample (approximate length: between 7 and 10 pages). This writing should be analytic in nature. It may be from a previous course you have taken or it may be writing you undertook in your professional pursuit beyond the classroom. Please include a statement with your signature that certifies that the writing sample is your own.
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges attended.
- Two letters of recommendation that speak to your academic potential.
These documents should be on file in the English Department no later than March 15 for fall admission, or November 1 for spring admission. International applicants should submit their materials by January 1 for fall admission or September 1 for spring admission.