Benefits of working for TPW
We also offer a certificate program that attracts career-changing professionals.
Also among the strengths of our program are the faculty — all experienced professionals.
Care to join us?
We are looking for you if ...
- You are an experienced professional with appropriate specialized knowledge.
- You are up to date on trends in the field (preferably in a range of industries).
- You have an advanced academic degree (Master’s or higher).
- You have experience teaching or training (preferably at college level or with adult learners).
- You are enthusiastic about your work and motivated to share what you know.
- Teach no more than one course per semester. (Typically a three-hour class session, one evening per week, for about 15 weeks.)
- Be available on campus for student conferences one hour per week.
- Invest an average of two hours of preparation and grading for each teaching hour per week.
- Prestige — especially if your professional work involves training.
- Pay — not an industry rate, but no billing or collections required.
- Convenient scheduling — evening classes and meetings keep your days free for other work.
- Repeat employment — not guaranteed, but successful instructors often are asked to return.
- Professional development — nothing updates and improves skills like teaching!
- Networking — faculty, students, and their employees may lead to new contacts for you.
- Satisfaction — our career-oriented students are capable and eager to learn what you teach.
We will value your experience and practical expertise!
- Offer to supervise a student intern where you work.
- Volunteer as a guest speaker for classes, career workshops, etc.
- Volunteer to mentor a student or recent program graduate.
- Volunteer to advise on program development and industry relations.
- Recommend our program to potential instructors or students.
We will appreciate any contribution that you make!
For more information, please contact:
Technical and Professional Writing Program
College of Liberal & Creative Arts, San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94132