Light Bulb

Do I need to take a First-Year Writing Course?

  • Every student needs to fulfill the A2 requirement for General Education, and a First-Year Writing course will fulfill this requirement. Some students are exempt through AP or IB credit. If you are unsure if you need to take an A2 course, please speak to an academic advisor.

Do I have to fulfill the General Education Area A2 Requirement?

  • Yes

What if I started at SFSU before Fall 2019?

  • If you started at SFSU before Fall 2019, then you need to take A2 and A4 (rather than A2 and E) If you enrolled at SFSU before 2019 and want to take courses designed for multilingual speakers, then you need Eng 209 for A2 (for multilingual speakers) and 215 to satisfy the Area A4 general education requirement.

What if I have Transfer Credit for Area A2?

  • If you have transfer credit for Area A2 of general education, either through certain AP credit, IB credit, or college credit from another institution, you do not have to take an area A2 class. If you think you might have the requirement fulfilled, be sure to double check with an academic advisor to make sure.

How do I apply to be an instructor in the First-Year Writing Program?

Applicants to the Composition/Writing Program part-time teaching pool must have an M.A. degree in Composition/Rhetoric/Writing Studies or a closely related field paired with graduate work in writing pedagogy, as well as have experience teaching academic writing (composition) and academic reading at the college level. Exceptions may be considered for individuals with significant teaching experience in the field, at the community college level or higher education.

SF State MA Composition graduate student applicants who will be completing their last semester of course work during spring or fall semesters may also apply to enter the pool.

To be considered for the part-time lecturer faculty pool, please send your CV to the current Director of Writing Programs via email. Based on your experience, you may be contacted if there are open positions and asked to supply recent student evaluations of your teaching, as well as to sit for an interview. Successful applicants enter a pool of teachers and are assigned to classes based on course availability and order of work stipulated in the faculty CBA (collective bargaining agreement).