Master of Arts in English
Offering concentrations in Composition, Linguistics, and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL).
In addition to our concentration specific requirements, all Master of Arts in English students must complete these core requirements:
- ENG 702 - Introduction to Graduate Study of Composition, Linguistics, and TESOL (3 units)
- ENG 707 - Topics in Language Analysis (3 units)
- ENG 728 - Topics in Sociolinguistics (3 units)
- ENG 733 - Seminar in Student Teaching (3 units)
Select one Culminating Experience Course:
- ENG 895 - Field Study or Applied Research Project (3 units)
- ENG 898 - Master's Thesis (3 units)
Concentration in Composition
Join a vibrant intellectual and scholarly community devoted to the study of written communication and the teaching of reading and writing across multiple contexts. Excellent preparation for teaching in the two-year colleges.
- Visit Composition for more specific information.
Concentration in Linguistics
Study contemporary theory over a broad spectrum of the levels of linguistic structure: phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, discourse analysis, psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics.
- Visit Linguistics for more specific informaiton.
Concentration in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Engage with theoretical foundations and contemporary research in linguistics, sociolinguistics, and second-language acquisition. Learn practical classroom teaching methodology suitable for adult second-language learners.
- Visit TESOL for more specific information.